IT Law refers to the category of law that applies to information technology (IT). It covers all of the different legal issues that can arise for customers and suppliers of IT. As Best IT lawyers in Australia, we regularly advise clients on all areas. The concept of “IT Law” covers mergers and acquisitions in the IT sector, the drafting and negotiation of commercial legal agreements like Non-Disclosure Agreements and Software Licence Agreements and online agreements such as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform Terms of Service and Privacy Policies. it also encompasses legal advice on privacy, telecommunications and managed IT services, litigation and dispute resolution for technology companies.
The top 3 IT Law issues that our Lawyers cover are:
- Ensuring commercial agreements are prepared in a manner that appropriately reflects the commercial and technical issues facing a technology business;
- Working with IT companies to resolve technical disputes concerning the performance or non-performance of technology products and services;
- Assisting tech suppliers with their mergers and acquisition (M&A) requirements.
The top 5 IT laws that we frequently advise clients on are:
- The Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) – this law applies to all Australian companies and governs shareholders, directors and more;
- The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) – this is a law that regulates the collection, holding and disclosure of personal information by Australian companies and how companies are required to manage data breaches;
- The Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) – this law regulates copyright in Australia;
- The Trade Marks Act 1995 (Cth) – this law regulates trade marks in Australia;
- The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) – this law sets out parameters under which businesses can operate in Australia.
Australia’s IT laws are of great benefit to the community. They help IT companies protect their valuable intellectual property and are designed to uphold the basic principles of justice and fairness.
We are the Best IT Lawyers in Australia and have decades of experience advising clients on IT Law issues. We would be very happy to assist you with your requirements.